-->

Saturday, March 21, 2015

Profiling the Braves: Bobby Cox

In today's article for the About.com blog, I looked at the career of Bobby Cox. Did you know he played for the Richmond Braves? Well, cool, but it slipped my mind. As did the postseason collapse of the Blue Jays in Cox's final season with them. We all have different thoughts on Cox. Some believe he was the best manager in baseball and part of Atlanta's problem now is that he's not managing. Others think he was a better evaluator of talent who was limited in terms of baseball strategy. Still others think that too many think to the extremes with Cox and he was simply good at some things and not as good as others, but in the aggregate, he was a great manager.

I'm not even sure where I fall. I do believe he tended to lean on his players to make the decisions for him and that became an issue in the playoffs. But hey, if I have Greg Maddux, Tom Glavine, and John Smoltz pitching with Chipper Jones, Javy Lopez, and Ryan Klesko in my lineup, I might have done the same thing. Either way, I hope you give my profile of Cox a look and tell me what you think.

(As an aside, been hard lately to write as I'm pretty sick so hopefully, the profile even makes sense. My schedule has fell behind so hopefully, I'll catch up.)

No comments:

Post a Comment