-->

Thursday, June 28, 2012

How Awful is Jack Wilson?

Jack Wilson just grounded out as a pinch hitter in tonight's game against the Diamondbacks.  It was 2-2, the Braves were guaranteed eleven more outs, and no one was on base with the top of the lineup due up.  Fredi Gonzalez goes to Jack Wilson to get a rally started.

Don't think about that idea too long or your head might explode.  Jack Wilson is hitting .172 on this season in 36 games and 70 PA.  Does he get on base?  No - two walks.  Does he hit for power?  No - 1 2B, 1 3B.  Oh, so he's still an amazing defender, right?  Nope - negative UZR over the last three seasons with a -13.1 UZR/150 this season. 

I get that he had a history of being a solid defender with some outstanding seasons as a Pirate and with Tyler Pastornicky sucking it up as a major leaguer, the Braves needed a defensive option to be the Rev's caddy.  Andrelton Simmons, however, has been in the majors since the beginning of June and is a better defender.

I am Jack Wilson's Utter Lack of Ability.

Listen, I know I'm not privy to all of the insides of baseball.  Maybe Wilson is a great guy in the clubhouse.  Maybe he plays jokes and settles differences and gives awesome backrubs.  Like I said, I don't know.  What I do know is that Wilson is a beyond horrible ballplayer in today's game.  It's not personal, it's just a fact.  Why a team wouldn't change out a bad bench player for one that might be productive is beyond me.  I understand that currently, Wilson is the only Brave capable of playing shortstop behind Chipper.  But that doesn't mean you can't grab a shortstop-capable backup to join the bench.  

This continues to be one of my pet peeves.  Don't stick with bad ballplayers with no potential.  Move on and improve your team in every possible way.  I understand improving the 25th man on your roster doesn't have the same importance as acquiring a starting pitcher to stabilize the top of the rotation, but regardless, the Braves need to stop carrying Wilson because...

Well, it pisses me off.

That and he's terrible.  But still, it pisses me off.

No comments:

Post a Comment